The GlobWetland II project will be organised along the “Develop-Operate-Transfer” model which can be summarised as follows:
- The project consortium will develop the GlobWetland II Information System on the basis of the user requirements that will be consolidated during the first phase of the project, in close collaboration with the partner and user organisations.
- The project consortium will operate the GlobWetland II Information System, producing a number of pilot products (wetland geo-information maps and indicators on wetland status and trends) on a number of wetland sites that will be selected by the partner and user organisations.
- The GlobWetland II Information System - and the database including satellite images– will be transferred and installed in a number of hosting institutions to be designated by the Ramsar/MedWet National Focal Points. The installation of the GlobWetland II software package at the hosting organisations will include some training and capacity building sessions.
- The hosting institutions, on behalf of the Ramsar/MedWet National Focal Points, will operate the GlobWetland II Information System and continue the work initiated during the GlobWetland II project.
Some regional centers of expertise can also be designated should the Ramsar Country Administrative Authorities decide to join their efforts and work in a coordinated manner.
The baseline for the designation of the hosting organisations is the following:
- The Tour du Valat as the host of the regional OMW coordination unit.
- 11 national centers of excellence to be designated by the Ramsar Contracting Parties of the subject countries.